Bird Feeders


Today I went to the store and bought some hangers and the small feeders. Note the feeders do not have a lot of seed in them. There's a reason for that. It's almost impossible to keep seed dry here during the winter. My chair is just inside the door so I figure I can put out small amounts and add more as needed. It's easy for wet seed to mold and clog the holes. No, I'm not crazy. That is a hummingbird feeder. There's one breed that lives here in the Willamette Valley the year around. Occasionally we've put out a feeder and I do remember going out every few minutes to wipe the snow off so the hummingbirds could get to it. Bob just called me to the window and we have a hummingbird at the feeder. That didn't take long. I am under no illusion this arrangement will keep the seed dry. My best hope is that it will help since they're hanging under a covered patio and I put out a source of water. So far the hummingbird is the only customer we've had but the feeders went up late yesterday afternoon. Now about that nice plump gray squirrel that crosses my patio multiple times a day. When I went to the store I contemplated getting a squirrel feeder and putting an ear of corn on it but my experience has been that they will rip the corn cob off and take the whole thing, feeder and all if necessary. I did buy a small bag of squirrel food and will put a handful out everyday. I'll explain to him the system of sharing, he gets his and the birds get theirs. I'm sure he won't want to make me unhappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment